Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday Sewing - Screen Printed Quilt

Even though I'm working on my Masters degree in Art Education, I'm also taking a studio fiber arts class in screen printing on fabric this semester.  I love it!  I'm working out the plans to make my own printing table and will definitely share it with you when it's made.  I'll also have tutorials on different types of screen printing you can do on fabric at some point.  Until then, I'll show you what I'm working on for the class.

I just finished my first project - fabric screen printed with plastic stencils.  This is my fabric when I was done printing ...


I have a hard time just leaving something as it is!  It seemed like adding another layer of texture would really be nice on this piece, so I echoed some of the shapes I'd printed with thread sketching and also added a thread border.  I had already decided this would be a small quilt, so I dyed some of the fabric blue to back it with and did the thread sketching through all three layers so it would be quilted.  A matching bias tape binding and I was done!  The lighting where I took this photo wasn't very good - the photo above is more true to the correct coloring.


Here are some close ups of the front -


and one of the back.


Now we're on to registered repeat designs - I have NO idea how this one will turn out!  We'll see ....

Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment: