Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Inspiration - Olek's Crochet Art

Untitled
I've seen photos of Polish-born artist Olek's crochet installation pieces, but recently spent some time looking through her website.  Wow ... there's the sheer scale of much of her work (I mean, how long does it take to actually crochet a studio apartment?!), but I think her smaller pieces are even more amazing.

Olek's work is often site specific - it's designed to be viewed in a certain place, often on the streets.  I love this piece of a mother pushing her child past street graffiti.  The crochet is done in a pattern that reminds me of camouflage, but in the bright colors of graffiti artists' spray paints.


Several of the works I viewed looked at the role of woman/mother.  Below is a video of a performance piece, Working Woman in Red: A Portrait.  I think a lot of us can relate to the work/re-work theme!  While crocheting she's watching a Fellini movie.  In her artist's statement, Olek says "The movies I watch while crocheting influence my work, and my work dictates the work I select."  If the clip below doesn't work, try here.



Working Woman in Red: A Portrait from olek on Vimeo.

I love the simplicity of this crocheted pup tent placed in a city park - I'm not familiar with New York City, but I bet some of you might know where this is.  There the juxtaposition of a warm, cozy crocheted tent against the cold lonesomeness of whatever situation would have you sleeping in a city park.


Also worth viewing is this short clip on Olek's work from a CBS news interview.  And to any of you who are feeling bruised by rejection letters, take note of what she did with a recent letter and where she's now showing her work!



Happy Creating!  Deborah



1 comment: