Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday Inspiration - SAQA Benefit Auction 2013

A sign of autumn nearing - SAQA's (Studio Art Quilt Association) 2013 Benefit Auction begins Monday, September 9th!  The quilts are all up online now so you can look through them - for inspiration or to plan your strategy on making purchases.  Instructions on how to take part in the auction are here.

Each year I like to go through and pick out a few of my favorites to post on ArtThreads - this year it was hard for me to narrow down which one's to feature.  Lots of inspiring work!  In the interest of not having a superlong post, these here are my favorite four (clicking on the artist's name will take you to a larger image):

I've long been a fan of Mary Pal's amazing work with loosely woven fabrics and her quilt this year, Looking Back, is beautiful.  The emotions she captured give me goose bumps .... her last year's entry was also one of my favorites.


I love the depth in Susan Zimmerman's quilt!  It almost looks like one could fall into it.


Annette Rogers' Nature's Carpet is one of those pieces you can look at several times and keep seeing new things.  Great layering!


I love the bright, fun colors of Rebecca Douglas's whimiscal garden quilt!  It captures the feeling of summer.   And again, lots of nice layering and fabrics.


Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. I remember checking out this site last year and so enJOYed all the quilts with such detailed work and innovative ideas. So inspiring. I too have tried to dabble a bit in thread sketching, but the way Mary Pal manipulates gauze is out of this world! Thanks for reminding us of this site.

    ReplyDelete