Friday, March 11, 2016

Friday Inspiration - Anne Kelly's Fabric Collages

I've been fascinated by fabric collages for most of my life!  Third grade, in Mrs. Fiedler's class - what looked to my eight year old eyes like giant mountains of fabric scraps, bits of lace and ribbons, and buttons appeared on several tables when we returned from recess.  Our project for the rest of the afternoon was to create animals and their habitats.  I was hooked!  In my memory, my black velvet skunk with its white (lace?) stripe was the most amazing thing I'd ever created!  I don't work with collage as a technique nearly often enough, but my eye always stops on inspiring collage pieces when I come across them.

And I recently found the work of UK artist Anne Kelly, who stitches together recycled pieces of fabric, paper, and photographs using nature and her travels as inspiration.  I especially like the textures she creates and the many layered details - these are works you can come back to and see something new each time.  Here a few of my favorites:

Waistcoat Bird Tree

Lost and Found - Day

Around Midnight

Be sure to take a look at her website for a look at many more and information on her workshops and books!

Happy Creating!  Deborah

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your first experience of making a collage. Very interesting. This post certainly inspires me today.

    ReplyDelete